South Kingstown, RI

Originally part of the a larger settlement including North Kingstown, Exeter, and Narragansett, all collectively referred to as Kings towne. South Kingstown separated form North Kingstown in 1722 and incorporated in 1723, but remained adjoined to Narragansett until Narragansett independently incorporated in 1882.

South Kingstown has a mixture of geographic landscapes, which includes ocean, pond, meadow, and swamp. In fact South Kingstown contains a large swamp area comprised of 3349 acres, all manged by the state today. The Great Swamp Management Area is most famous for King Philips War also known as the Great Swamp Fight or from the perspective of the Narragansetts the Great Swamp Massacre. This war occur ed in 1675 and was one of the bloodiest conflicts in the history of the state, and it almost completely wiped out the Narragansetts.

Today South Kingstown is comprised of the villages of Curtis Corner, Green Hill, Indian Lake Shore, Kingston, Matunuck, Middlebridge, Peace Dale, Perryville, Rocky Brook, Snug Harbor, Tuckertown, Usquepaugh, Wakefield, and West Kingston.

Within South Kingstown is the University of Rhode Island, which is the principal public research university in the State. The university is well recognized for its pharmacy, agricultural, and oceanography program among other things. Every year the University hosts the South County Hot Air Balloon Festival put on by the Wakefield Rotary Club. The Balloon Festival offers great opportunities for beautiful photographs of hot air balloons at sunset along with the chance to go for a ride in a balloon.

View photos at SmugMug

View photos at SmugMug

Videos, Slideshows and Podcasts by Cincopa Wordpress Plugin